Could you use some help with designing your charity’s online services? Need advice on how to best transfer face-to-face services into a virtual space? Or want to redesign or improve an existing digital service? Then a Design Hop can help!
What are Design Hops?
A Design Hop teaches charity participants a step-by-step method for user centred digital design, leading to unexpected insights, powerfully simple digital solutions and a hunger to keep tackling complex problems.
It’s a free course that supports nonprofits on a digital journey to solve a real challenge for your organisation.
- Confidence with digital and reusing a design process in future
- Crucial new insights and knowledge about tech habits and needs of your users
- Your own minimum viable product (a ‘starter solution’) to take away to solve a real problem
- A fresh new network of other charities and experts using digital for good
Design Hops are a CAST initiative, contributed to Catalyst.
Who are Design Hops for?
Staff and core volunteers at UK nonprofits of all sizes curious to learn about the potential of digital.
Unfortunately this course is not suitable for organisations whose primary beneficiaries are based outside the UK.
How much does it cost?
It’s totally free!
How does it work?
How the Hops are delivered often varies based on what we’re learning works best. But what you’ll learn from them is always the same. Here’s what we cover:
- Choose and investigate the social and organisational challenge that you want to work through
- Understand the real user needs of the people affected
- Be inspired by examples of free and simple digital solutions
- Generate your own ideas
- Explore how they fit in your wider services and lives of your users
- Develop the quickest, easiest way to test your chosen idea with your users.
- We'll set you up to continue your digital momentum inside your organisation, or with new peers and digital experts met through the course.
- Starting 7th September 2021 - Design Hop for nonprofits in Scotland. Sign up here (link takes you to SCVO website)
- Starting 16th September 2021 - Design Hop for nonprofits in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Sign up here
Until things return to normal, any sessions will be delivered remotely via Zoom.
Can't make it?
If these dates don’t work for you, sign up to our waiting list to be the first to hear about new dates for the Design Hop course.
Facilitate a Design Hop
Design Hops are facilitated across the country by a mix of digitally-confident charities, tech/design freelancers and local social sector partners.
We're currently experimenting with different online facilitation and support formats, and always looking for new people to join our crew. If you're interested in being trained up, please contact Tori.